Advocacy on the Margins
An 8 week course
In order to see lasting change in their lives, people in recovery from addiction, violence, and poverty need advocates. An effective advocate is a person who, empowered by the Holy Spirit, walks alongside someone who has been marginalized by the rest of society. Through trust-building relationship, competent advising, and steadfast accompaniment,advocates bring others into the body of Christ through practical and transformational experiences.
Topics we'll cover:
- Spirit-led advocacy defined
- Welcoming the stranger
- Roots of violence--"when kids grow up"
- Addiction and mental health
- Why doesn't she leave?--domestic violence
- Criminal justice system
- Boundaries and self care for caregivers
- Orientation and tour of local services and resources
- and more...
Where: Hosted by Tierra Nueva (701 E. Fairhaven, Burlington, WA)
When: Every Tuesday from 6:15PM—9:00PM
From September 29th— November 17th
Cost: $100 for all 8 sessions and course materials (due at first meeting)
To sign up, e-mail Anne Park (firstname.lastname@example.org) before September 22nd.